Friday, March 18, 2011

Hoping to Help...

Hello.

I'm having a hard time thinking and talking about what is going on in Japan right now. I don't think I know anyone personally who is over there but seeing anyone homeless, hurt, lost, uncertain of their futures - makes my heart ache. Home and safety is such a huge part of my life, and I know I take it for granted. Seeing the footage of the ruined towns and displaced people brings me to tears every time. It all leaves me feeling so small and helpless.

So, since I have to do SOMETHING, I've made a new print just for this cause. You can get it for $20 in my shop (which is expensive for me but, really, this isn't for me).



100% of the proceeds will be going to relief efforts in Japan. Here's who I will be donating to:

Save the Children's Japan Earthquake Tsunami Children in Emergency Fund.
When disaster strikes around the world, Save the Children is there to save lives with food, medical care and education and remains to help communities rebuild through long-term recovery programs. As quickly and as effectively as Save the Children responds to tsunamis and civil conflict, it works to resolve the ongoing struggles children face every day — poverty, hunger, illiteracy and disease — and replaces them with hope for the future.

and

World Society for the Protection of Animals' Animal Disaster Fund*
Natural and man-made disasters wreak havoc on millions of people and their environment every year. Animals can be the forgotten victims, left behind, hungry and in pain.

With dedicated disaster operations teams based in Asia and Latin America, WSPA is expert in alleviating disaster-related animal suffering.

Helping animals disaster-struck animals not only reduces their distress, it helps whole communities. Many of the world’s poorest people are totally reliant on animals for food, transport and their livelihoods; domestic animals provide valued companionship the world over.


*If you know me, you know that a very large portion of my heart - maybe most of it - is devoted to animals. Not just the ones I know, but every animal everywhere. I am so heartbroken for every family who has lost a pet or even farm animals in this disaster. All of the wild animals who were hurt or killed or even just scared during this - I cannot even fathom. Everything I know about WSPA is great. I donated to their efforts in Haiti when they had their earthquake.
I truly believe that one of our jobs as kind, loving humans is to care for animals when they are in need. I hope that WSPA can make a difference in Japan.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. If you like the print, please consider buying, if you know someone else who would, please pass the information along.

So many hugs,
Sarah

1 comment: