Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rumbly and Blowy

What an exciting week on the East Coast!

Tuesday the Eastern Seaboard got a little shake!
A magnitude 5.8 quake hit Virginia and boy did I feel it here in Boston. Our little office building did some rumbly rolling for about a half a minute!



After all of the excitement I went to meet Curtis for dinner. My walk took me over Beacon Hill which is so old and lovely and I really should go walk there more often.





And now it's Friday and on Sunday a hurricane named Irene is supposed to visit New England. As I type she is making her way to the outer banks down in North Carolina. If the storm makes it up to our area it could be a "50-year storm" or possibly the worst hurricane to hit New England in recorded history. Whoa.



Weather is so incredible. It's just air! And water! The right combination of temperatures and pressure and there you go - hurricane.

Storms can be so destructive but I've always been fascinated. I have fond, fear-less memories of hurricanes Bob and Gloria shaking our little house in Durham NH as we waited them out in the basement. It was always so exciting as a kid... Gathering up candles and flashlights. Filling every available pitcher in the house with water. Watching the trees bend too far. We lost some BIG pine trees in our yard during Gloria but I was five and didn't really realize that if the wind had blown just slightly in the other direction, our little house could have been crushed. To me it was exciting to 'camp out' and watch out the taped up window. Running outside as the eye passed over and marveling at how still things suddenly got. It's terrible when people and property are hurt and damaged but I can't help marveling at the power of weather and realizing how small we are.

I hope everyone is able to stay safe and dry as Irene makes her trip up the coast. We have fresh batteries in our flashlights and candles all lined up. I have to remember to go rescue the tomatoes from the garden! We wouldn't want them washing away!

And, it's totally unrelated but this is one of the sweetest things I've read in a long time.

Time to batten down the hatches!
xo
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment