Thursday, January 19, 2012

Botanical Illustration Class #2

Our second class found us at the Harvard Museum Of Natural History's glass flowers collection. If you haven't seen it, put it on your list. I have been a few times and still have a hard time convincing my brain that the intricate, delicate, accurate sculptures are glass and were created with the most primitive of tools in the late 1800s/early 1900s. Incredible. (Note if you're going to draw - the lighting is TERRIBLE. It's great for preserving ye olden plant models but horrid for drawing. Good luck!)

Glass Flowers at Harvard for Blog Post

I drew the Western Star Flower model...
Star Flower

And here's my lemon from last week...

Class was mostly free-range at the museum so I think next week should be the first class that feels like a full class. I can't wait.

[I also need to remember to go back to the Harv. Museum to draw some of the animals there - who are all lit in a more drawing-friendly way.]
Look how shocked this little shark was!
O o O

After class I walked to Somerville and met up with Megan. We had delicious lunch at Bloc 11 (which I miss so very much) and talked about art. Tuesdays are my new favorite for sure.

Brunch at Bloc11



  1. Hi Sarah!

    Your drawings look great. As an huge proponent of the 4-day workweek, I'm thrilled to hear you're on board. Best. This post especially made me miss Boston. - Rachel

    1. The flower and lemon are wonderful. Bravo!

  2. So beautiful Sarah! I love how delicate & solid your star flower looks! Like you can pick it right up off the page :)