Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tuesdays are my new favorite days.

So here I am. It's a regular Tuesday but I am not at work. I'm not sick. I'm not on vacation. I just don't work on Tuesdays any more.



I reached the five-year mark at my day job and got a little antsy. It's a great job but I want to do a lot of other things too. Forty hours a week at the same computer was just a little too much.

I have Megan to thank in big part for this change. A few months ago she sent me a link to a class she wanted me to take with her. I looked at the rest of the courses offered and saw "Botanical Drawing" Tuesday mornings for 10 weeks starting January 10th. This is the conversation that followed:

Megan: do it with me!!!!
me: naaaaaaaah. if i took a class it would prob be in painting or pottery.
Megan: dangit
me: or Botanical Drawing
Megan: DO IT
me: but TUESDAY AM class. gaaaaah.
Megan: say you want to work 32 hours a week. see if they are like 'ok'
me: oh man.
it cant possibly be that easy.
Megan: BUT IT ISSSSSSSSS
easy enough to ask.

And it was! I asked and it was ok'd! I don't know if all jobs are as flexible but mine was. In all honesty, I did take a pay cut but I think it's worth it. As Megan said: "think - how much brain space/happiness would you increase by having a whole day off to DO STUFF?"

So starting NEXT Tuesday I will be taking Botanical Drawing in Cambridge on Tuesday mornings and will spend the rest of the day drawing or painting or doing Egg-A-Go-Go business stuff. Maybe it's a way to keep me happy at my regular day job, maybe it's a way to work towards making art my full-time job. We'll see how it works out.

I'm excited.

photo 1

xo
Sarah

1 comment: