Wednesday, July 17, 2013

An update to the illustrated travel writing list

Hello Friends!
Today was a very good mail day. Let me tell you why...

I've been having one of those weeks full of feelings. There is nothing wrong - in fact everything is grand - but everything is making me cry. Sad things - tears. Happy things - tears. Frustrating things - tears.

Today I went to the garden to weed and water and that was nice. Then I came home and felt a little weird. THEN I went to the mailbox! I received two small parcels containing more illustrated travelogues for my collection and enjoyment (both arrived from overseas - Scotland and Germany!).

A couple of weeks ago I searched "travelogue" on Etsy and found these gems...

Illustrated Travel Writing
Australia Travel Diary and Japanastic by danadamki

Illustrated Travel Writing
Nine Lines of Metro and Seven Days in Berlin by Neil Slorance

Last week I was delighted to find out that Craig Thompson kept a travel journal while traveling through Europe. It's been a long time since I read Blankets and I had forgotten how spectacularly beautifully brutally honest Thompson is when he storytells - I remembered when I got to the page about his bought of explosive travelers diarrhea.

Illustrated Travel Writing
Carnet De Voyage by Craig Thompson

After my first post, Kristin commented and suggested the work of Marlene McLoughlin so I found two of her books used online and ordered them up! These ones have few words but beautiful little watercolor illustrations of tiny moments.

Illustrated Travel Writing
Road to Rome: An Artist's Year in Italy and Across the Aegean: An Artist's Journey From Athens to Istanbul by MarleneMcLoughlin

I've added all of these to my master list here.

And don't forget, if you order travelogues from other countries, you may get some nice stamps too!
Stamps from Gemany

In other news, I'm working on a lot of new paintings and we are busily planning our own voyage to Europe where I am getting more and more excited to see new things and eat new things and draw everything I can.

xo
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment