Sunday, October 27, 2013

Chai Time (recipe!)

Oh hey, is anyone out there? This blog has been nothing but cricket chirps lately. Our trip to Europe was amazing and it's been taking some time to get back into 'regular life' since getting home. There will be more art content soon but first, tea time.


I have a machine to steam milk and I've been wanting to make my own chai concentrate for chai lattes for a while now (since I spend a small fortune on them at City Feed every week). I found this recipe on Pinterest (my leading source of recipes lately) and tweaked it only slightly. It's originally from this blog post.

Chai Concentrate Recipe
Time to Make: about 30 min

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/2 teaspoon all spice
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

4 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cinnamon stick
9 tea bags of your favorite black tea

STEPS:
1) Place all powdered spices into a fill-it-yourself tea bag (like these).
2) Boil water, sugar and vanilla in a small pan.
3) Reduce heat and add spice 'tea bag' and cinnamon stick, simmer for 20 minutes.
4) Add tea bags and simmer for another five minutes.
5) Store in the fridge and use as you wish! 1/2 concentrate & 1/2 milk or milk-like-product of your choice. It's great hot or iced! Extra beautiful with cinnamon sprinkled on top.

It's super easy to make and this batch could make 6-8 good mugs of chai. Make me one while you're up, okay?

Chai Time!


Edited January 2015...

For my most recent batch I used less sugar (maybe a 1/3 of a cup instead of 1/2) and added some honey (a couple tablespoons)! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment