Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Eyeballs

Somewhat recently I remembered a video I saw a couple of times as a kid. In the video someone was making artificial eyes. I have no idea where I saw this - Sesame Street? Mister Rogers? 60 Minutes? Who knows. The video made quite the impact, I mean what kid isn't interested in bodies that are different and how those bodies live and function? And to think that ARTISTS are behind the fake eyes walking around out there - I was so intrigued! Artificial eyes (glass or acrylic) are made one at a time, by hand. The process is slow and very precise. I was fascinated by the laying of the veins and by the goop squirted into the patient's empty socket to make a mold.

I haven't been able to find the video from my childhood but here are two good ones. One about making glass eyes and one about making acrylic - I think the one I remember must have been about acrylic eyes since I remember the sanding.





I didn't realize that eye-making was often a family trade and that traditional glass eyes are so rare now.

I'm not exactly sure what the point of this post is. Maybe I'm bookmarking these amazing eye-makers for future appreciation or I'm just feeling nostalgic. Or possibly, as the holidays approach and we are encouraged to buy mass-produced bologna, I just want everyone to remember how important handmade is - it can change lives.

Also, a drawer full of eyes is a pretty good creepy halloween image.

That's all for now.
xo
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment